An example of this event would be a solar eclipse. That meal descends from Old English melu, a word akin to Old High German malan and Latin molere, meaning "to grind." <3. It has also been used to refer to any sort of object that can be thrown. Next time you want to show off your repertoire of weird words, tell your boss that you’ve got a case of the “collywobbles,” and can’t come in tomorrow. They were basically swimming. This is one of those funny words that sound like insults, but a hoecake describes a very basic small cake made of cornmeal. Even the cake was in tiers. LiveShopper Sassie, the company behind this Coffee Project survey, received input from 1,000 coffee drinkers via their mobile app, PrestoShopper, to ask various questions about their coffee drinking habits and preferences. What do you call a fish with no eye? You may also hear government officials calling three-letter agencies like the FBI the “Alphabet boys.”. Bat in this sense referred to almost any material, and its vagueness may have contributed to its use in dingbat. Hi Cliff! So I'm going home for the hollandaise. Attercop! Today I gave my dead batteries away. If you really look further into some of these peculiar phrases or actions, you realize that they actually make no sense at all. As much as we would love to tell you that oxter is a group of oxen and otters that became friends and peacefully coexist against all odds, that would be a lie. Today's Beefeaters are the ceremonial warders of the Tower of London who wear the same antique uniforms as the earlier Yeomen. A pronk is a weak or foolish individual. 'Cause the cow's got the udder! It doesn’t sound so funny now, huh? There was a boat that was sailed on a river, and it sank. What do you call a door when it's not a door? As a copy editor, my task is to correct mistakes in grammar and style. 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'? How 'cob' met 'web.' You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Bulldozer named the people carrying out coercive bulldozing before being applied to the early-20th-century machine that forcefully pushes aside everything in its path. “Knurly” describes something with “small protuberances,” such as knobs or tumors. Thank goodness that this antiquated word for “cash” hasn’t been used since the eighteenth century; we think it would be a pretty difficult word for rappers to rhyme. THE LANGUAGE OF THE CRAZY > Random Sentences Which Make No Sense! 12. This is a discussion on Jokes that make NO sense at all within the Fun forums, part of the Inspiration category; Q. A chipmunk! He neverlands. What do bees do if they need a ride? Bestlifeonline.com is part of the Meredith Health Group. Why don't crabs donate? How many bugs do you need to rent out an apartment? A boondoggle is a wasteful or impractical project. Cozy up, grab your Santa baby or your weighted blanket, click the link, and get to watching. This word describes the shrill, wailing sound that bagpipes make. What's the dumbest animal in the jungle? When's the best time to go to the dentist? It has flower heads with sharp leaves and was once used in the textile industry to comb wool. If you're anything like me, the workload of college combined with the stress of COVID has left you a little nostalgic. I want to go camping every year. We know these funny words might sound made up but they’re not—unlike these fake words that actually made it into the dictionary. Reply. Grass. Like “willy-nilly,” this funny word means “characterized by irregular or unpredictable movements or style.” Why do so many weird words sound like insults? This word describes someone who participates in antiwar demonstrations. “Spleenwort” is one of those weird words that doesn’t sound anything like the thing it describes. But, is the … I just wrote a book on reverse psychology. It's hard to teach kleptomaniacs humor. But it's only mild. We have a few questions. Check out these 10 words that only exist in the English language. Because they're shellfish. Rasp and raspis may derive ultimately from the noun rape, meaning "grape pomace." Speaking of movie nights in, Freeform released their 25 Days Of Christmas movie schedule! Quotes and sayings by famous people inspire us and often put us on the track. If you attend a memorial service, funeral or wake, you’ll encounter a lot of sobersides, or people with a serious or sad appearance. I have been a volunteer for Crisis Text Line for six months now. These one-liners are so silly and stupid you can't help but love them. Without it, we would have this: I know, English is already hard enough. At SUNY, she works for WFNP 88.7 and writes for The New Paltz Oracle and The Teller Magazine. This term dost indicate an archaic or elaborate sort of speech. A fartlek is a type of endurance training in which a runner switches between sprinting and jogging. If you didn't know (sorry), we've been locked down for over 200 days now, and chances are, you are ready for it to be OVER. While this word can also refer to the planet, nothing here is in retrograde. Where’s yours? While you continue working on prioritizing your health and happiness in 2020, why not transform your social media feeds to be places that inspire and teach you? Recently I’ve been thinking about things like this and have compiled a list of odd things and sayings I hear constantly or that I’m even guilty of doing/saying myself. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. In the 14th and 15th centuries, cobweb was used in the form coppeweb. A little more fun than “chock-full,” this essentially means the same thing: “crammed, crowded, or stuffed.”. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Such usage is now obsolete, as is its old sense referring to a wife. It's a garbage truck. Do you remember that joke I told you about my spine? If you’re wondering about the origin of the name raspberry, etymologists have a better understanding of its roots. What do sprinters eat before a race? If you're American when you go in the bathroom and American when you come out, what are you in the bathroom? Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! I just wanted to say, I hate you. I will not be taking a paternity test, ever!– Oprah Winfrey, My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me.– Jon Bon Jovi, Smoking kills. "So I replied, "No it doesn't.". A peacenik might sound like the opposite of a beatnik, but the groups probably have some overlap. Just take away the "s!". It is akin to Old High German māl, meaning "time," and much more distantly to Latin metiri, "to measure." What do you call a boomerang that never comes back? Would hair stop growing on your chest if you asked directions somewhere?– Erma Bombeck, I’m not cheap, but I am on special this week.– Anonymous, I know how hard it is to put food on your family.– George W Bush, Everyone got kind of crazy with me mentioning I was in love with a woman.– Angelina Jolie, You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise, they won’t come to yours.– Yogi Berra, I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol!– Anonymous, We are sorry to announce that Mr. Albert Brown has been quite unwell, owing to his recent death, and is taking a short holiday to recover.– A Parish Magazine, I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada.– Britney Spears, He is about as sharp as a marble!– Anonymous, Consciousness: that annoying time between naps!– Anonymous, The bravest thing that men do is love women.– Mort Sahl, The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret.– Henny Youngman, One should always be in love.

Ford Figo Titanium 2012 Diesel Mileage, Reebok I Bike Manual, Where To Buy Aiwa Exos-9, Maytag Dryer F3 E2 Error Code, 2013 Ford Focus Battery Drain Problem, Is Alibris Books Reliable, Oil And Gas Separator, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Parts, Wyoming Close Llc Operating Agreement, Flat Creek Inn Jackson, Wy, The Pink Panther Strikes Again Trailer, 1992 Gmc Sierra Dashboard Replacement,