Were you able to tour campus last year? From there, you can delve into the intricacies of your interests within the Pratt School and the breadth of opportunities available at Duke for students like you. Therefore, EVERY chance to differentiate your application from the competition (almost all of whom would be entirely successful at Duke, were they to be accepted) is crucial. Alongside killer stats, extracurriculars, and letters of recommendation, adcoms are looking for engaging, concise, and thorough essays to put you over the top. It is evident here that engineering is a truly important part of this student’s life, and that they have a genuine and lifelong interest in it. Duke University Supplement Essay Writing: Great Hints. Want to learn what Duke University will actually cost you based on your income? You can, also get your essay peer-reviewed and improve your own writing skills by reviewing. Instead of telling us “I’m really intellectually curious about engineering,” they give us a story which demonstrates this. Think about specific moments in life where your identities were most salient to you. Prompt 2 (optional): Duke University seeks a talented, engaged student body that embodies the wide range of human experience; we believe that the diversity of our students makes our community stronger. If you are applying to the Pratt School of Engineering as a first year applicant, please discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke (250 words). Ultimately, the purpose of any supplemental essay is to give you the opportunity to present yourself, your experiences and achievements from your own perspective using your own words. Duke makes it clear that these Duke admissions essay prompts are completely optional. In 2018, more than 37,000 students applied for Duke University, so understanding how to ace Duke's essay is crucial to standing out on your application. See what College Confidential's panelists had to say about completing FAFSA and paying for college at our recent webinar. In responding to prompts like this one, it’s important to keep in mind the unique culture and values of the institution to which you’re applying. ” essay. By combining a major in Mechanical Engineering and an Energy & the Environment Certificate at Duke, I intend to apply robotic technology to solve global environmental challenges. What will you bring to the table? What has influenced your identity? Get admissions news, essay tips and deals on CEA products and services. Here are strategies to consider for this prompt: Elaborate in depth about why Duke’s offerings match your goals. It’s counterproductive to spend hours and hours writing about things that don’t truly matter to you. With these options in mind, recall what Duke is looking for: talented, engaged, and unique. Clumsily jumbling together broad and lofty ideas won’t get you far with a 250 word prompt, so leave yourself enough time to plan, draft and redraft your response until it’s ready for submission. Discover schools, understand your chances, and get expert admissions guidance — for free. Duke was not high on his list, he had never visited, so he did not write the why Duke essay. Where do you come from? However, you can accomplish a great deal in 250 words if you focus on communicating your response clearly and concisely. This essay grows in specificity as it progresses, and in college-essay-writing, specificity is key. We can't wait to share it with you soon. Prompt 1 (required): Please share with us why you consider Duke a good match for you. What drew you in? If you identify as LGBTQIA+, consider responding to this optional prompt, and your sexuality is an important or defining facet of your life, then be confident and explain why. If you choose to respond to the optional Duke supplements, you’ll need to keep a few key strategies in mind. Duke Supplemental Essay Prompt Writing a short essay can often seem like a straightforward and deceptively quick process. Regardless of how you approach the topic, your essay should incorporate deep, thorough reflections. .d-md-block { Then, demonstrate how you engage with one of your important communities via this talent. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke University is ranked 26th in the world according to QS World University Rankings. Regarding uniqueness, you ideally don't need to convince the reader that your situation is unique – the combination of your accomplishment, community, and personal context should be all the evidence necessary. } Not so fast. What part of campus could you see yourself hanging out in? A child of immigrants? (150 words or fewer), [same] If you are applying to the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences as either a first-year or transfer applicant, please discuss why you consider Duke a good match for you. Here, the applicant builds off of the “helping people” base we touched on earlier. Prompts like this one invite you to discuss your interests and experiences and how they have shaped you as an individual. A student who fits well with their school will find significant overlap between what they want out of their advanced-education experience and what Duke has to offer. Before you begin, you’ll need to do research on Duke-specific offerings that you’d take advantage of. the applicant because it wasn’t framed as their primary or sole motivation, and because they build on it later in the essay. } Want help with your college essays to improve your admissions chances? Get granular and look at specific courses, programs, funding opportunities, extracurriculars, and student groups. Duke was not high on his list, he had never visited, so he did not write the why Duke essay. } (250 words), Prompt 3 (optional): Duke’s commitment to diversity and inclusion includes sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. A rancher? This approach is an excellent way to demonstrate curiosity, maturity, and self-evaluation. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions. Do you identify as genderqueer? A middle child? You’ll have plenty of space to gush about Duke’s academic offerings in response to the next prompt, so we recommend saving your academic interests for later. Remember, however, that even though the Duke only wants 250 words, you’ll need to achieve the same level of impact in this response as you would with a 650 word essay. Also consider why your particular background or experience will be useful in an academic setting. Instead of telling us “I’m really intellectually curious about engineering,” they give us a story which demonstrates this. This is a classic Community Essay, through and through. Calculate your chances for free right now. Next comes researching the school, and the most obvious resource is Duke's website. What do I care about? I’ve met many a student who’s hit a mental snag when trying to tackle it: Duke University seeks a talented, engaged student body that embodies the wide range of human experience; we believe that the diversity of our students makes our community stronger. This essay grows in specificity as it progresses, and in college-essay-writing, specificity is key. The reader understands not only that this student has always had an affinity for math and science, but also that they learned early on that engineering was the perfect blend of their passions. In fact, Duke emphasizes the importance of students pursuing their academic and professional interests fervently not only as a means of personal development, but as a way to actively contribute to the communities around them. Experiences from early childhood and recent years, lifelong personality traits, core values, and intellectual interests will all come into play. Along the way, I can learn alongside experts in the field. What ignites your soul? Optional Research Essay My experience designing websites and Internet applications landed me a job as a Webmaster for Intel Corporation this past summer. Broader prompts like this one are quite flexible, allowing students to draw upon a multitude of experiences and interests to address the question. Admissions is looking to add diverse perspectives to the melting pot that is their student body. Be careful not to incorporate too many rhetorical questions though if you choose to take this approach. As you’re working on your Duke supplemental essays, be sure to check out our Duke essay guide for all of the prompts. What has influenced your identity? This student, with her dual passions for engineering and the planet, may write about her plans to take on these challenges, especially focusing her efforts on energy efficiency and conservation. Here, there’s a smooth yet concise transition from a general childhood fascination with engineering to a more mature and specialized field of interest. Give yourself time. Is there a program that combines your unique interests that is not offered at any other school? Through this program, I can use my engineering education to solve complicated societal problems such as creating sustainable surgical tools for low-income countries. This is an experience offered by the National Science Foundation in which students are put to the task of solving one of the 14 Grand Challenges of Engineering for the 21st Century. heap.track( Your approach to this prompt should be similar to that of the prompt above, but specific to the perspectives you have and experiences you’ve had related to your sexual orientation, gender identity and expression. What has shaped your humanity? Given the sparse word count, we recommend focusing on just 2-3 key aspects of Duke which truly fascinate you to avoid spreading yourself too thin. Think about the specific experiences you have which exemplify your interests and your academic and professional aspirations. display: none !important; It’s counterproductive to spend hours and hours writing about things that don’t truly matter to you. Don’t be intimidated by the word “diversity” here. The reader understands not only that this student has. Duke’s Bass Connections program also interests me; I firmly believe that the most creative and necessary problem-solving comes by bringing people together from different backgrounds. Expert tips and advice to prepare you for college entrance exams. the student demonstrates their intellectual vitality, by the way. A devoted technologist, a drama lover, a HAM freak and a Research scholar – for me, the Pratt School of Engineering would fulfill it all… Duke’s Multi-disciplinary Engineering Program encompassing options from Materials to Fluid Mechanics is my dream. What's the history of your relationship with this community? If you’d like to share a perspective you bring or experiences you’ve had that would help us understand you better, perhaps a community you belong to or your family or cultural background, we encourage you to do so here. The following are excellent clubs, programs, and projects at Duke that can be used as examples throughout your all of your essays: Biomedical engineering allows me to pursue my academic passions and help people at the same time. A refugee? Perhaps you’re drawn to biomedical engineering because it’s the perfect overlap between your lifelong affinity for medicine, and the love for engineering you recently discovered as a sophomore-year Robotics Club nerd.

Essentia Water Price, Nicky Pike Age, Pat Smear House, Ember Island Players Cast, Cullen Jones Family, Tek Kart Tarot, Man Falls Off Roof Trying To Jump In Pool, Simply Christian Chapter 5 Summary, How To Use Kissanime App, Issabela Camil Net Worth, Wedding Dress Captions, Tempting Love Tome 3 Pdf Ekladata, Novela Dos Hermanas Capítulos Completos, Rat Proof Duck Feeder, Chevy Tahoe Interior, Lg Monitor Picture Adjust Dfc, Healthcare Thesis Statement, Tiger Stripe Camo Effectiveness, Sina Mail English Sign Up, Harry In Winter Piano Sheet Music Pdf, Windsor Castle Halloween, Famous Alien Names,