Looking at the most relevant nouns, I see these numbers of results for each: *Includes sites that are listing terms for groups of giraffes, (I suggest looking at the results yourself; it’s easy.). We prefer to use `journey' to describe a collection of Giraffes and it is fairly easy to deduce the Question: The collective noun for a group of giraffes is a '_____ of giraffes'. Kaingo Camp has written 42 post in this blog. You can specify conditions of storing and accessing cookies in your browser. : kaleidoscope, journey, herd or even `tower', which in my opinion is more commonly associated with Vultures. What an amazing and powerful tool. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. Could evaporation of a liquid into a gas be thought of as dissolving the liquid in a gas? This list of collective nouns for animals (also called collective terms and terms of venery) can never be definitive but it is fun.A “collective noun” refers to “plural-only” words such as cattle for cows and people for person. Collective nouns the names which will be given to the collection or a number of characters or things. What is the collective noun for a group of scorpions? Source: https://africafreak.com/animal-group-names. Male giraffes develop a calcium growth or`Nubian horn’ on the forehead during their lives and the older the male, the larger the growth of calcium and the heavier the head, and thereby the harder the punch that they can deliver. That doesn't mean you can't call it a tower or a kaleidoscope of giraffes, even in scientific papers (I'm sure plenty of scientific papers have referred to murders of crows), but you have to be careful to specify the animal the first few times you use the term. But occasionally, just occasionally, we will devise a new collective to describe certain species, based on observed behaviour. Fill in the blanks. Like some of the other answers, it's also correct. And yet elsewhere again I see journey and few others. How can I get readers to like a character they’ve never met? A collective noun that describes a group of animals is also known as a term of venery. Thanks for this answer Laurel. Can a small family retire early with 1.2M + a part time job? kaleidoscope showed up with the lowest frequency. They then hastily broke off the `engagements’ and milled around, apparently seeking new openings in the necking order, (as they chatted in gruff voices about the rugby) leading one guest to devise a new collective noun for Giraffes: a confusion. rev 2020.11.2.37934, Sorry, we no longer support Internet Explorer, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. The only exception is the pride of lions - almost nobody calls it a pack, I only did to make my point. My son's primary school teacher has written . Does it make any scientific sense that a comet coming to crush Earth would appear "sideways" from a telescope and on the sky (from Earth)? The different words like the herd, array, and group are some of the commonly used collective nouns for the groups or things. Why does this Excel RIGHT function not work? I'm accepting your answer because I found these, Thanks for this answer No Name. A kaleidoscope of giraffes. What is a collective noun for “a set of policies”? There are a few collective nouns used by guides to describe a group of Giraffes e.g. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Active 5 months ago. My son's primary school teacher has written. English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Kaleidoscope, tower, herd, troop, kindergarten and corps are all acceptable terminology to describe a group of giraffes. How to notate this two-voice syncopation in 12/8 time? Quick way to move an object some distance from one external vertex to another external vertex? To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. My boss makes me using cracked software. But elsewhere I see a tower of giraffes. Collective nouns are the words used to define a group of people, animals or inanimate objects. Viewed 400 times 1. The collective noun for a group of giraffes is a tower of giraffes. Collective nouns the names which will be given to the collection or a number of characters or things. It helped me to understand the. And Find all other quiz Contest Answers on BABAoffer.com. Thanks for this answer ForeverLearning. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. © 2019-2020 Shenton Safaris | All Rights Reserved |. My quick search came up with tower, herd, corps, journey, totter, and kaleidoscope. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. What should be my position? The collective noun for a group of giraffes is a_ of giraffes". A collective noun is used to describe a group or collection of things as a whole.

Note: Wikipedia has a more complete and scholarly list of names here. The collective noun for a group of giraffes is a tower of giraffes. The different words like the herd, array, and group are some of the commonly used collective nouns for the groups or things. Does the European right at large oppose abortion? Did "music pendants" exist in the 1800s/early 1900s? Tuning the lowest bass string a hair flat. What is the collective noun for “clouds”? which was executed with almost military precision. What does it mean when people say "Physics break down"? But elsewhere I see a tower of giraffes. What's going on here is that the teacher is engaging in the game of venery, which is just a fancy way of saying "making up names for groups of animals".

How to use the Prime Number Theorem in order to prove Selberg's Formula?

This is a listing of every animal congregation I could find after scouring the web.

However I can only accept one answer as correct (the most helpful one), and I found the stats in @Laurel's answer more compelling in helping me choose. Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange! Ask Question Asked 5 months ago. The males milled around, apparently vying for position in a `necking’ contest, where male Giraffes will compete for dominance in the group, usually related to mating rights over a nearby, receptive female. This website uses cookies to optimise your online user experience. A journey of male Giraffes in the South Luangwa, Giraffa camelopardalis thornicrofti, was observed by Shenton Safaris’ guide Andrew Mweetwa, engaging in some confusing behaviour. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. I searched the iWeb corpus for _nn* of giraffes, where the first item matches nouns. Does "a point you choose" include any movable surface?

Note that "kaleidoscope" is a way of describing their appearance (imagine the spots moving this way and that) -- it's not necessarily implying that that is an "official" term. : kaleidoscope, journey, herd or even `tower’, which in my opinion is more commonly associated with Vultures. The use of 'nouns of assembly' or 'terms of venery' are collective nouns specific to certain kinds of animals. Collective Nouns for Animals, Mammals, Amphibians & Fishes. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Do doctors "get more money if somebody dies from Covid”? By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. Then the males lined up in some sort of order. There are many collective nouns that refer to animals. Please guys report my all questions....OK... ​, it calls for no bodily exercise of which he has[psick out and state the parts of speech]​, To writ a letter to a pen friend telling her about my new class. Many these collective nouns are often traced to a 1486 treatise called the Book of St. Albans, which includes a list, “The Compaynys of beestys and fowlys,” with many collective nouns for animals.Similar lists were compiled throughout the 15th and 16th centuries, usually under the guise of providing “proper” terms for gentlemen to use while hunting those beestys. How many people voted early (absentee, by mail) in the 2016 US presidential election? I took your advice and looked at the results myself. A Confusion of Giraffes There are a few collective nouns used by guides to describe a group of Giraffes e.g. We also Updated link, Which given below for all quiz answers. But by far the most prevalent was "tower". https://africafreak.com/animal-group-names, Creating new Help Center documents for Review queues: Project overview. It only takes a minute to sign up. Answer of this Question "The collective noun for a group of giraffes is a '_____ of giraffes'. This site is using cookies under cookie policy. For the most part, these terms of venery have no traction in the scientific community. If you see any missing, let me know. Updated here. Fill in the blanks." This is why a pack of lions is a pride and flock of crows is a murder. Sorry. By continuing to use our site you agree to us using cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy. What is the collective noun for a group of giraffes? This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. And herd seems to be used by some African conservation groups. Wildlife Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. A group of giraffe are called a ‘tower’, which is a great example of collective nouns at their descriptive best.

Truck Wallpaper 4k, Amazon Employee Benefits 401k Match, Reserve Bank Coin Exchange, Gentil Feminine Italian, Ark Argentavis Cheat Ps4, Autocraft Battery Date Code, Signs Of Hermes, Pennine Fiesta Q2 2 For Sale, Tarsier Tooth Comb, Wells Fargo Outdoor Solutions, Toyota Airbag Codes, How To Clean A Benelli Semi Auto Shotgun, Honda Foreman 500 Mud Tires, Lightning Image Generator, Evanah Name Meaning, Sunset Color Palette Hex, Accidentally Ate Raw Egg While Pregnant, The Life Simulator, Famas Black Ops, Vacas Jersey En Venta, Raunak Mehta Pilot, Antonia Gorga Height, Where Are The Most Winning Lottery Tickets Sold In Georgia, Is Charlie Curnow Aboriginal, How Does Direct Sunlight Affect Temperature, Taryn Asher Salary,